Start Your Journey

Thank you for considering CSU, where you can expect small classes and great value as you earn your degree. On this page, CSU connects you to several opportunities for experiencing our university right where you are. Apply online, tour the campus, and hear from current students and alumni on the CSU Scholar experience. Chat live with Enrollment specialists who can answer your questions about CSU. Make sure to check out the FAQs for details on enrollment, student resources, and much more.







CSU Admissions Sessions

We look forward to sharing Chicago State University with you! Learn more about academics, student life, career opportunities, and more! Admissions representatives will be live to answer your questions regarding the next steps you can take towards accomplishing your next academic goal.


Bilingual CSU Admissions Sessions

¡Los invitamos a una sesión informativa sobre la Universidad Estatal de Chicago! Conozcan acerca de nuestros programas académicos, la vida estudiantil, las oportunidades de trabajo, y mucho más. Representantes de la Oficina de Admisión estarán presentes para responder a sus preguntas respecto a los próximos pasos en obtener su meta académica.

We invite you to an information session about Chicago State University! Learn about our academic programs, student life, career opportunities, and more. Admissions representatives will be live to answer your questions regarding the next steps to take towards accomplishing your academic goal.


CSU Admitted Student Next Steps

Are you admitted to CSU? If you answered yes, congratulations on your admission! This session is designed to help guide you through important next steps of claiming your account, confirming your admission and preparing for Orientation. You can meet with an Enrollment Specialist to assist you to the next step to becoming a Cougar! Coming Soon!

New Dates Coming Soon 

Transfer Admissions Sessions


RISE Information Session

Join us for a few moments to learn about this awesome opportunity! In the Rise Academy, students will participate in workshops, build relationships with classmates, explore career options and learn the “ins and outs” of college life. The program starts with a 5-week intensive course in the summer and continues throughout the academic year.


US Coast Guard CSPI Scholarship Program Information Session

CSPI (College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative) is a full-tuition scholarship program designed for motivated individuals who desire to serve their country in the United States Coast Guard. The purpose of the program is to promote the Coast Guard at Minority Serving Institutions. CSU is the first institution in Illinois to offer this unique partnership and the only selected university in the Midwest. Students accepted into this program will be enlisted into the US Coast Guard and complete basic training during the summer. During the school year, students are required to participate in a minimum of 16 hours of Coast Guard activities per month. Upon graduation, CSPI students are commissioned as officers in the United States Coast Guard.


Financial Aid Information Sessions

Confused about Financial Aid? That's Okay! Join us in one or all of our financial aid webinars live, where you will have the opportunity to ask questions and get answers in real time by a financial aid representative. Learn about FAFSA, scholarships, and how to financially prepare for college. 


Graduate School Financial Aid Information Session

Questions on how to pay for graduate school? Join us in our financial aid webinar, live, where you will have the opportunity to ask questions and get answers in real time by a financial aid representative. Learn how to financially prepare for Graduate school. 



“You are exactly where you need to be.” This saying proved true for me during my journey at Chicago State University. When I enrolled at CSU, my f read more
CSU and United States Coast Guard
One of the primary reasons Chicago State University is so special is the amount of support we have from our amazing community partners. Not too along read more
Fall 2020 Returning to Campus Tips
We are excitedly preparing for your return to Chicago State and cannot wait to begin the year. As we actively prepare for fall semester, we recognize read more

Show All




Registrar's | RegistrationTransfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid

Registrar's Office

Q: Where is my CSU Student ID number & email address?

A: On your admissions acceptance letter. Email or call (773) 995-2517 to confirm your student ID number.

Q: Who has access to web services through Cougar Connect?

A: Any student who has taken a class at CSU within the last two years may access web information with their username (CSU email; do not include and password.

Q: How do keep my student directory information private from the public?

A: Complete the Confidentiality Request Form.  Submit completed forms to or in Office of Records and Registration (Cook Administration Building Room 128).

Q: How can I view holds on my student account?

A: View your current hold by clicking on the ‘Student Records’ link in CSU Xpress. This screen displays holds placed on your record affecting your ability to register. When no holds exist, a "no holds message" is displayed.


Registrar's | Registration Transfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid


Q: Who has access to Web Registration?

A: All degree-seeking students enrolled in CSU classes within last two years. A Registration Advising PIN (RAP) is required for the current term from your academic advisor.

Q: How do I register for classes at Chicago State University (CSU)?

A: You must be an admitted student to register. Once admitted, you must obtain your Registration Advising Pin (RAP) from your Academic Advisor. The RAP is required for Cougar Connect and CSU X-Press to register online. Your academic advisor provides a new RAP each term during your advisement appointment. New RAPs are assigned each term and expire at end of regular registration period.

Q: How do I register for classes at Chicago State University (CSU) in Cougar Connect?

A: Once you obtain your Registration Advising Pin (RAP);

  • CLICK on Cougar Connect from the CSU home page
  • LOGIN with your credentials
  • CLICK on the Add/Drop Classes link
  • READ the Registration Agreement, indicate you have read the agreement and click the ‘Submit’ button.
  • CLICK Add/Drop Classes
  • SELECT the Term
  • ENTER your Registration Advising PIN (RAP) and CLICK Submit
  • Note: Registration would be easier if you know the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs), you may enter them in the ‘Worksheet’ section provided.
  • To look up a CRN: CLICK Class Search and follow the on-screen instructions to look for classes to add.
  • When all CRNs are entered on your worksheet, CLICK Submit Classes.
Q: What if I forget/lose my Registration Advising PIN (RAP)?

A: Refer to your academic advisor or department chair. The Office of Records and Registration can not provide RAPs. You will need your RAP each time you add/drop courses.

Q: What is a Registration Error Message?

A: An error message indicating the registration for a given class was not completed. Contact the Registrar’s Office at (773) 995-2517 should you need assistance. Examples of these errors are:

  • Closed Section - This class has reached the maximum limit of enrolled students.
  • Closed Section - x - This class is closed. The x indicates that the class is sharing a room with another class and the maximum limit for the combined class has been reached.
  • CRN does not exist - You have entered an incorrect CRN. Check the CSU Dynamic Class Schedule (Course Scheduling Website) or use the Class Search button to locate the correct CRN.
  • Preq & Test Score Error - Many credit classes require prerequisites. These are conditions that must be met in order to gain access to a particular class. Course prerequisites are listed as part of the course description in the CSU Dynamic Course Catalog and are noted in the published CSU Catalog. If you believe that you meet the prerequisite and you are not being allowed to enroll, contact your academic advisor.
  • Time conflict XXXXX - You have selected a class where a portion or all of the time the class meets is at the same time as another class. You will not be allowed to register in a course if there is a time conflict.
  • Dupl Crse with SEC-XXXXX - You have selected two or more classes with the same subject and course number. This is not allowed and you must drop or remove one of them.
  • Repeat Count 0 - You have attempted to register for a course that is not repeatable, and already exists on your record. This is a warning message. Student should contact their academic advisor to select another course. 
  • CORQ-XXXXXREQ - This class required a co-requisite class to be registered with the class you have selected. Contact the department for the specific information.
  • Maximum hours exceeded - You have attempted to register for more hours than you are qualified to take based on your level (Graduate or Undergraduate) and your academic standing. The maximum load for Graduate and Certification students is 14 hoursand maximum hours for Undergraduates range from 12 - 16 hours.
Q: How do I remove courses from the registration menu?

A: Choose the

  • ‘Drop Web’ option available from the pull-down menu on your class schedule.
  • CLICK ‘Submit Classes’ to make the change. When you have finished entering your classes
  • CLICK on ‘Complete your Registration’ and follow the on-screen instructions. Return to the Menu. Please make sure you log out and exit your browser.
Q: How do I get a copy of my class schedule?

A: Log into your Cougar Connect account and locate the ‘My Class Schedule’ link and select ‘Student Detail Schedule’. You can print your schedule using the print function of your browser.

Q: How can I find out when and where a class is meeting?

A: Please check your Cougar Connect account under the ‘My Class Schedule’ link to view the date, time and location of your class. Click on the ‘detailed schedule’ link for information such as your instructor’s name.

Q: Why am I unable to find my course in Moodle?

A: There may be several reasons why students cannot access their courses on Moodle. The two most frequent reasons for this are:

1) The instructor has not made the course visible

Solution: Contact your instructor via email and inquire when he/she will make the course available. Note: Some instructors will not make the course available until the first day of the semester.  

2) Banner has not updated your registration  

Solution: Call or visit the registrar’s office at 773-995-2517 or ADM 128 to make sure that you are currently registered for the correct number of courses/credits.  Please note it may take at least 24 hours after you register for your online course to become visible in Moodle. 

For additional questions, click here for Moodle Student Support.  Also, you may send an email to Please include your name, student ID and course information.   

Q: I forgot to drop my class. Will the instructor do that for me?

A: Instructors may submit a withdrawal for students who never attended or if students stop attending by the deadline date listed in the Academic Calendar. Note: Students are responsible for dropping or withdrawing their classes even if they do not attend. When a student does not attend or stops attending without formally withdrawing, the student will receive the grade assigned by the instructor and will be held liable for all charges on their account. Please contact the Office of Records and Registration at (773) 995-2517 for information on how to drop your class.

Q: My class was canceled after I registered, what happened?

A: The University reserves the right to limit the size of the classes and to cancel classes for which there is insufficient enrollment. If the class for which you are registered is canceled, you will automatically be dropped from the class and notified via email. If you do not find an alternative class, a tuition refund will be processed to your account according to the refund policy. Financial Aid students may wish to consult with their financial aid counselor concerning any award implications.

Q: Where can I obtain a listing of all of on-campus courses offered by the university?

A: The CSU Dynamic Class schedule can be found on the website under the Course Scheduling page.  Please click on the CSU Dynamic Class Schedule.  Enter the term and course subject and click Submit.

Q: Where can I view my final grades?

A: Final grades are available from the Student Records menu within the secure area of CSU X-Press within Cougar Connect. Final grades are posted to each student's record three (3) days following the end of the term. (Refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates.)

Q: How can I view my account summary?

A: Each student may view his/her account information by selecting the ‘My Info’ tab in Cougar Connect. This form displays information by term, by charge type, payments, and the net balance of all transactions. Anticipated financial aid is not displayed. The total Account Balance is displayed at the top and bottom of the summary. For further information concerning your account, please contact the Bursar's office located in the Cook Administration Building Room 212 or call 773-995-2470.

Q: Where can I go for help concerning my tuition bill?

A: Please contact the Bursar’s office at (773) 995-2470 for information regarding your tuition bill or visit the Bursar's Office website for additional information. 


Registrar's | Registration Transfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid

Transfer Credit

Q: How does a course transfer to CSU from another institution?

A: Transfer credit will be considered from any regionally accredited institution of higher education. Email with further questions.

Q: What is the maximum number of transfer credit CSU will accept?

A: Chicago State University will accept a maximum of 66 semester credit hours from a two-year college or a maximum of 88 semester credit hours from a four-year institution.

Q: Do I need approval to take a course at another college and transfer it to CSU?

A: Students with 90 hours or more MUST complete the Petition for Exception to University Policy form before registering for courses at another institution. Students with less than 90 hours need written permission by submitting an Academic Petition from the program’s department chair.  This permission MUST be obtained prior to registration at the other college.

Q: I earned my associate’s degree from an Illinois community college. How does that affect my Chicago State University education?

A: Students who transfer to Chicago State University with an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree will be deemed to have completed all university general education requirements, including those university requirements that exceed the Illinois General Education Core Curriculum. However, this policy will not override the requirements of any college, department, program, or major.

Q: How are my grades available after my Spring 2020 final exams?

A: Spring 2020 grades will be available May 20, 2020.

Q: My instructor filled out a change of grade form with the Registration and Records. Why hasn't my grade been changed yet?

A: All grade changes are processed within three (3) business days. Should you still have an issue, contact the instructor and/or department regarding the error to resolve it as soon as possible.

Q: How do I calculate my GPA?

A: The number of grade points for a course is found by multiplying the grade point value by the number of credit hours earned in the course. The term grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points a student earned in all courses taken during the term, by the total number of credit hours awarded by those courses. Cumulative grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned in all courses taken divided by the total number of credit hours awarded by those courses. Courses in which the student received a P, W, I, or which were taken at another institution, are not included in the GPA calculation. Semester hours for courses in which the grades of F or I/F are earned are used in the calculation.


Registrar's | Registration Transfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid


Q: How do I request my official transcripts?

A: Students may request the release of their official academic record (transcripts) online. To order through the National Student Clearinghouse via web click on the link Student Clearinghouse.  Online requests are submitted through the National Student Clearinghouse.  A credit card is required for payment and the charge for transcripts ordered online are as follows:

  • Transcripts requested online are $10.00 per copy, plus a $2.50 processing fee per order.
  • Transcripts requested online for immediate receipt are $15.00 per copy, plus a $2.50 processing fee per order.

All transcripts issued or mailed directly to a student will be stamped, "ISSUED TO STUDENT." These transcripts bear the CSU seal and are considered official; however, some institutions/agencies may not accept transcripts that are issued to student. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the receiving institution will accept the transcript with this stamp.

Q: What is the turnaround time for a mailed transcript?

A: Transcript requests are generally processed within 3-5 business days and are sent via the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) standard mail. Note: Processing time DOES NOT include USPS mail time. Please allow additional 2-8 business days(Monday-Saturday) for mailing after transcripts are processed.

Q: How can I track my transcript request?

A: You may check the email account you listed on your transcript request order as information regarding your transcripts will be provided via email. You may also contact the Office of Records and Registration at or by phone at 773-995-2517 with questions regarding your transcript order.

Q: How do I change my name on my records and transcript?

A: Current students must submit Name Change request using the Change of Name  form.  Students must provide at least TWO VALID and ORIGINAL forms of Identification (i.e., Marriage License, Birth Certificate, or Divorce Decree, or Legal Name Change documentation).  Both documents MUST show the new name.  ONE form of required identification must be a photo ID.

Q: How can I get a degree or enrollment verification from Chicago State University?

A: Students who need a written statement of their enrollment status at CSU or their degree verification must complete the following Verification of Enrollment Form. Students must produce a valid photo ID when requesting all verifications. No verification will be processed without the written signature of the student.  Enrollment Verification Forms are provided in the Office of Records and Registration.  Some requests require a $4.00 processing fee.  Please allow five to seven (5-7) working days for processing.  

Q: How do I view my unofficial transcript online?

A: Log into Cougar Connect, click on the ‘Home’ tab >> CSU-Xpress >>  Student Menu >>Student Records >> Academic Transcripts.  You will see all transfer and CSU coursework.  Courses with grades ‘T’ in front indicates transfer credits.  

Q: I took classes at another school. Where do I send my official transcript?

A: Undergraduate (New students)

Chicago State University

Office of Admissions

9501 S King Drive, ADM 101

Chicago, IL 60628

(Note: Electronic Transcripts may be sent to

Graduate Students (New students)

Chicago State University

Office of Professional and Graduate Studies

9501 S King Drive, ADM 200

Chicago, IL 606028

(Note: Electronic Transcripts may be sent to


Registrar's | Registration Transfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid


Q: I am a High School senior, how can I apply to your University?

A: First-time freshman applicants may complete the Common Application ( or the CSU online application.

Q: Does your university accept transfer students?

A: Yes. Chicago State University has friendly transfer admission policies. Transferring students would complete the CSU online application. Up to 66 semester credits may be accepted from 2-year colleges and up to 88 semester credits from 4-year or a combination of 4-year and 2-year schools.

Q: Is there an application fee?

A: There is a $25 application processing fee. Students who receive free or reduced lunch are entitled to a fee waiver. Transfer students and adults also may qualify based on results from their FAFSA showing a zero estimated family contribution. Fees are also waived at any on-site admissions event or an on-campus recruitment program including Fall and/or Spring Open Houses.

Q: How soon after I apply would I find out if I have been admitted?

A: Decisions are made continuously as an applicant’s file is completed. Students may check the status of their application by phoning the Admissions Office at 773-995-2513 or email us at Students applying through the Chicago State University on-line application will be able to see their progress toward completion in the system.

Q: Does Chicago State University Offer Financial Aid and Scholarships?

A: Yes. Students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Students Aid (FAFSA) and list our school code of 001694 to receive their information so that a determination of eligibility for financial aid awards from CSU, the federal government and, if application the State of Illinois.

Q: Can I reach anyone in the Admissions Office if I have more questions?

A: Yes. You can reach our Admissions Office and any staff member who will be more than happy to assist you at 773-995-2513 or by emailing


Registrar's | Registration Transfer Credit | Transcripts | Admissions | Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Q: Am I eligible for Financial Aid?

A: The first step to determine eligibility for Financial Aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can do so by visiting

Q: Which FAFSA should I complete?

A: There are typically two active years when you log on to If you plan to start school Summer 2020 (May), you should complete both the 2019-20 and 2020-21 FAFSA. If you plan to start school Fall 2020 (August), you should complete the 2020-21 FAFSA only.

Q: What will I need to complete my FAFSA?

A: You and your parents (if you are a dependent student) social security numbers and birthdays Your alien registration number if you are not a US Citizen You will need you and your parents 2018 tax returns (if you filed) for the 2019-20 FAFSA and the 2019 tax returns for the 2020-21 FAFSA.

Q: Do I need to complete a FAFSA every year?

A: Yes. The FAFSA must be renewed each year in order for you to be eligible to continue receiving aid. The FAFSA is available for renewal on October 1st of each year.

Q: How can I submit any additional documents?

A: Blank documents are available by clicking here. Print and complete the appropriate document. Documents can then be scanned, attached to an email and sent to, faxed to 773-995-3574 or mailed to Office of Student Financial Aid, Chicago State University, Cook Administration Bldg. Rm. 207, 9501 S. King Drive, Chicago, IL 60628-1958.

Q: Do I have to take a student loan?

A: The Office of Student Financial Aid encourages smart borrowing. You should compare the cost of the credit hours for which you need to register with your financial aid package. You also need to consider factors such as, do I need money for Housing? Do I need money for books? The grants alone may not cover your full cost and if you are not prepared to pay out of pocket, you should consider borrowing only the amount you need to cover the additional costs.

Q: How much financial aid eligibility do I have remaining?

A: You can view your financial aid usage by logging on to with your FSAID and password. Students have a maximum of 600% Pell grant eligibility. Undergraduate students may borrow a maximum of $23,000 subsidized and $34,500 unsubsidized. This website will show you how much you have used.

Q: What if I have a remaining balance that I need to cover?

A: If you have a remaining balance not covered by your financial aid, you will need to identify other sources of financial assistance if you are not prepared to make monthly payments toward your balance. You can apply for a private loan via any financial institution (i.e., Citibank, Chase, Sallie Mae). You should look for external scholarships. You can refer to the Financial Aid web page for ideas on where to begin your scholarship search by clicking here.

Q: Do I need to provide any additional documentation?

A: You are able to see if any additional documentation is needed on your Cougar Connect account.

Q: How will Chicago State University receive my FAFSA results?

A: In order for CSU to receive your FAFSA results, you will need to add our school code to your FAFSA. The school code for Chicago State University is 001694

Q: How soon will I receive my results?

A: Once you complete your FAFSA, you will immediately receive a confirmation of completion along with your estimated efc. Chicago State University will receive your results within 3-5 business days.

Q: What if I am an Undocumented or Transgender student?

A: If you are an undocumented or transgender student, please visit to learn more about the Alternative Application. You may be eligible for state financial aid.

Q: How do I log on to Cougar Connect?

A: Go to, at the top of the page click on Cougar Connect. Enter your username and password.

Q: What if I don’t have my username and password?

A: You should have received your username and password in the email. If you did not, please contact the IT Help Desk at 773-995-3963 to obtain your username and password.

Q: Do I need to provide any additional documentation?

A: You are able to see if any additional documentation is needed on your Cougar Connect account.

Q: How can I reach the Office of Student Financial Aid?

A: You can reach the Office of Student Financial Aid via telephone at 773-995-2304 or via email at

Q: I have already completed my FAFSA, how can I share my results with Chicago State University?

A: You just need to log on to and add the school code for Chicago State University to your FAFSA. The school code is 001694

Q: Will I receive any notification from Chicago State University that my FAFSA results have been received?

A: Yes. Once your FAFSA results have been received and processed, you will receive an email notifying you that you can log on to Cougar Connect to view your Financial Aid package.

Q: How can I tell how much financial aid I have used at my previous school(s)?

A: You can view your Pell grant and loan usage details at You can log in with your FSA User Id and password, the same information you use to log on to the FAFSA website.

Q: What if the financial aid I have is not enough to cover my balance?

A: If you need assistance in covering a remaining balance, you will need to identify other sources of financial assistance if you are not prepared to make monthly payments toward your balance. You can apply for a private loan via any financial institution (i.e., Citibank, Chase, Sallie Mae). You should look for external scholarships. You can refer to the Financial Aid web page for ideas on where to begin your scholarship search by clicking here.

Q: Do my credit hours affect my financial aid eligibility?

A: Yes. Grant (Pell Grant and MAP grant) eligibility is partially based on the number of credit hours you register for each semester. Student loans require that you be enrolled at least half time. If you add or drop a class that will affect your eligibility.

Q: Am I eligible to receive Financial Aid for the Summer session?

A: Maybe. If you have not utilized all of your student loans, you may have loan eligibility that you can use. Pell grant eligibility for the Summer session is dependent upon the number of hours you registered for in the prior Spring semester and you must be registered for the upcoming Fall semester. You should consult with your Financial Aid Advisor.